Miami Ranked in Top Five Cities for Minority Entrepreneurs
Forbes thinks that one of the best ways to lead America out of it's mounting debt is to spark long-term financial growth, and they think encouraging entrepreneurship among minorities is one of the best ways to generate that growth. Of course, like everything Forbes.com does, they've accompanied their point with a list, and Miami ranks among the top five cities in America for minority entrepreneurs.
"For each ethnicity (African Americans, Asians and Hispanics), we measured housing affordability (median value divided by household income), population growth (2000-09), income growth (1999-2009) and entrepreneurship (per capita self-employment)," explains Forbes. "Each ethnicity received a rank, with entrepreneurship weighted one-half and the other half split evenly among the other variables. Those scores were then averaged to calculate overall city rankings."
Here's the top ten:
1. Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Marietta, GA
2. Baltimore-Towson, MD
3. Nashville-Davidson-Murfreesboro-Franklin, TN
4. Houston-Sugar Land-Baytown, TX
5. Miami-Fort Lauderdale-Pompano Beach, FL
6. Oklahoma City, OK
7. Riverside-San Bernardino-Ontario, CA
8. Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV
9. Orlando-Kissimmee, FL
10. Phoenix-Mesa-Scottsdale, AZ