Miami-Raised Journalist Steven Sotloff Reportedly Beheaded by ISIS
Steven Sotloff, a 31-year-old Miami-raised journalist, has apparently been beheaded by ISIS. Video purporting to show the attack is circulating online, though no official confirmation has come from American officials or ISIS.
Sotloff, a graduate of the University of Central Florida, had been covering the conflict in Syria as a freelance journalist. He went missing in August 2013, but his disappearance was kept secret out of concerns for his safety.
His capture by militant group Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS) became public after the group released video of the execution of photojournalist James Foley. ISIS promised to kill Sotloff as well unless President Obama called off airstrikes aimed at weakening the group.
"The life of this American citizen, Obama, depends on your next decision," an ISIS member, now believed to possibly be a former rapper from the United Kingdom, says in the video.
Sotloff's last tweet was in August 2013 shortly before he went missing. He mused about the chances of the Miami Heat that season.
— Steven Sotloff (@stevensotloff) August 3, 2013
"Our hearts go out to the family and friends of Steven Sotloff," Florida Sen. Bill Nelson said in a statement. "Let there be no doubt, we must go after ISIS right away because the U.S. is the only one that can put together a coalition to stop this group that's intent on barbaric cruelty."
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Miami, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.