Miami is the Sixth Most Well-Read City According to Amazon
According to the stereotypes, Miami is supposed to be a bit of a shallow city and not exactly an intellectual hot spot. Yet, we're apparently the sixth most book-looking city in America according to Amazon.com sales data. The book-selling super site totaled all book, magazine and newspaper sales in both print and Kindle format since the beginning of 2011, and then averaged that out per resident to come up with this list. What's even more surprising is that Florida has the most cities on the list.
The list, which only ranks cities with more than 100,000 resident, is mostly dominated by college towns at the top. Here's the complete top ten, with our annotations.
- Cambridge, Mass (home to Harvard)
- Alexandria, Va (a DC suburb dominated by the defense industry)
- Berkley, Cali (supposed liberal wonderland and home to University of California, Berkeley)
- Ann Arbor, Mich (home to University of Michigan)
- Boulder, Colo (home to University of Colorado)
- Miami, Fl (supposed home to cocaine, strippers and bottle service)
- Salt Lake City (Mormons)
- Gainesville, Fla (home to University of Florida)
- Seattle (rainy and flannely)
- Arlington, Va (DC suburb, home to many government offices)
Mashable has the full top 20 and Orlando also made the list at 12.
We're not really sure what to make of this list, and once again we're not sure whether this means just the City of Miami or all of Miami-Dade. Considering, though, this list is only based on Amazon sales and the City of Miami proper lacks a major bookstore, it kind of makes sense.
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss Miami New Times' biggest stories.
- Dolphins Fire Kevin Coyle, Promote Lou Anarumo
Thu., Oct. 15, 7:00pm
Thu., Oct. 15, 7:30pm
Sat., Oct. 17, 12:00am
Sat., Oct. 17, 10:00am
- The Six Phases of a Gentrifying Neighborhood in Miami
- Chiquitica, Dog Who Sailed From Cuba Last Month, Hit by Car