Mayor Regalado Shows Up After Police Shoot Pizza Robber
In today's news roundup: The city's big brass shows up at the scene of a police-involved shooting, Miracle Mile goes up in flames, the future president of Earth visits, and a Miami Beach serial robber comes clean.
In Overtown last night around 8:30, A Miami Police officer shot a suspect alleged to have committed a series of robberies. The incident occurred around NW 17th Street and Fourth Avenue.
The man ordered a pizza and then robbed the delivery man when he arrived. He tried the same scheme again, but police set up a sting. When confronted, the suspect shot at police. Police opened fire, killing the man.
- Roger Downe, a candidate for "president of Earth," showed up in Miami in his houseboat to promote his campaign of ending war, stopping pollution, and painting all government buildings rainbow colors. [Herald]
- Ariel Gutierrez, 42, has admitted to pulling off 32 robberies and thefts in Miami Beach dating back to 2008. [Herald]
- An empty storefront caught fire on Coral Gables' fancy Miracle Mile. Neighboring stores sustained some damage. [WSVN]
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss Miami New Times' biggest stories.
- Samir Jemaaoui Jumped to Death After Killing His Wife in South Beach
Fri., Feb. 12, 7:30pm
Sat., Feb. 13, 6:00pm
Sat., Feb. 13, 7:00pm
Mon., Feb. 15, 7:30pm
- Florida LGBT Rights Bill Stalled in Senate By GOP's Bathroom Obsession
- Florida's Largest Apple Store Is Coming to Brickell City Centre