Massive Police Sting Nets 2,369 Pounds of Pot Worth $9.4 Million
A massive sting on Wednesday uncovered 49 hydroponic labs in Miami-Dade and put 42 people behind bars. The pot is believed to have a street value of $9.2 million. Police also found 11 grams of cocaine, 40 grams of processed marijuana, 126 Oxycontin pills, an Audi, and $9,562 in cash.
The sting, known as Operation Rake, involved the DEA, FBI, Homestead Police Department, Coral Gables Police, State Attorney's Office, and Team Metro. [CBS4]
- Two young Miami men jumped off Card Sound Bridge in Key Largo for "fun." One of them died, which is not very "fun." [Herald]
- North Miami Police HQ was shut down for several hours yesterday afternoon after a man walked in with a grenade. [CBS4]
- A propane truck caught fire in the city of Miami, causing several residents to be temporarily evacuated. [CBS4]
- The City of Miami's bond ratings were knocked down two notches by Standard & Poor's, meaning interest payments the city makes will cost taxpayers even more. [Herald]
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss Miami New Times' biggest stories.
- Baseball Player's Former Assistant Sold His $167K Boat Behind His Back in Opa-locka
- Goat Blood-Drinking Senate Candidate Tried to Get Miley Cyrus' Endorsement
- Poll: Floridians Really Don't Want Guns on Campuses