In more news of stubborn Republicans finally caving into demands that they debate their opponents, the Raul Martinez and Lincoln Diaz-Balart campaigns have finally agreed to a debate. Martinez is Diaz-Balart's first real challenger since being elected to represent Florida's 21st district in the House. The two are in a tight race, with a late August poll showing Martinez slightly ahead.
The Spanish language debate will be moderated by Jorges Ramos and broadcast on the Univision program Al Punto. It will be taped Friday, October 10, at 11 a.m. and air the following Sunday morning.
Martinez's campaign is still pushing for an English debate as well.
“We’re trying to work things out on a CBS 4 debate, but that hasn’t come to fruition,” said Aaron Blye, communications director for Martinez.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
Diaz-Balart has previously turned down a debate invitation from Local 10.
update: A representative for Diaz-Balart has confirmed that the campaign has agreed to both the Univision and CBS 4 debates, and that the CBS 4 debate is scheduled to record on October 3rd. The Herald also reported this morning that Diaz-Balart has said he accepted the invitation, while Martinez's camp stated that things still needed to be worked out.
Update 2: Lee Zimmerman, communications director of CBS 4, says that Diaz-Balart had accepted the invitation and that they were waiting for confirmation from Martinez. He couldn't confirm the October 3 date. The Martinez campaign says they're waiting to settle on a date with CBS 4. So it seems, while they're still working things out, but a debate en English debate on CBS 4 is likely.