Mark Buehrle on Marlins: "I Was Lied to on Multiple Occasions"
Pitcher Mark Buehrle is packing his bags for Toronto thanks to the trade that shall not be named, and he's none too happy about it. Buehrle and his agent Jeff Berry issued a statement today claiming that the Marlins straight up lied to him.
"I'm upset with how things turned out in Miami," Buehrle said in the statement. "Just like the fans in South Florida, I was lied to on multiple occasions. But I'm putting it behind me and looking forward to moving on with my career."
"In an offseason of change and uncertainty, the overriding factor in Mark's signing with Miami was Ozzie Guillen and the level of comfort his presence provided Mark and his family. While the Marlins were the highest bidder, baseball had already made Mark a wealthy man, so money was far from the most important factor in his decision. Throughout the recruiting process, the Marlins made repeated assurances about their long-term commitment to Mark and his family and their long-term commitment to building a winning tradition of Marlins baseball in the new stadium. This was demonstrated by their already completed signings of Ozzie, Heath Bell and Jose Reyes.
"At the same time, given the Marlins history, we were all certainly aware of and voiced concern about the lack of no-trade protection. This is unquestionably a business, and signing with the Marlins was a calculated risk. Mark held up his end of the bargain; unfortunately, the same can't be said of the Marlins.
"That said, Mark is a consummate professional and is looking forward to joining his new teammates in Toronto."
According to The Sun-Sentinel , Marlins President Larry Beinfest told reporters on Monday that he had not personally promised any players that they wouldn't be traded, and isn't sure why both Buehrle and Reyes seem to think their was a verbal promise in place.
Get the Weekly Newsletter
Our weekly feature stories, movie reviews, calendar picks and more - minus the newsprint and sent directly to your inbox.