Marc Sarnoff is the Top Rain Maker in Miami
Miami city commissioner Marc Sarnoff
has collected nearly half a million dollars in his reelection bid,
leading all candidates in the money raising front for the upcoming
November election. Of the three incumbents on the ballot, Sarnoff
faces the stiffest competition with four opponents who have some name
recognition and are jumping on the commissioner's emergence as the
go-to-guy for special interests. He has raised more than three times
the amount collected by Donna Milo, Michelle Niemeyer, Kate Callahan,
and Williams Armbrister.
Commissioners Willy Gort and Francis Suarez have raised $136,827 and $88,175 respectively. Although Suarez, who is running unopposed, has not submitted his campaign report that was due on September 30. Other interesting items of note from recently submitted electioneering data:
- The Related Group, a real estate firm owned by Miami Dolphins owner Stephen Ross and Democratic Party fundraiser Jorge Perez, gave $4,550 through various corporations to Gort this past Aug. 30. All the entities are located at the same address as Related's headquarters at 315 S Biscayne Blvd.
- Sarnoff can no longer downplay his relationship with lobbyist and political campaign consultant Steve Marin. Between July and September, Sarnoff's reelection campaign has paid Marin's firm $78,115 for direct mail pieces and other campaign materials.
- A new political action committee called Miamian's for Honest and Responsible Government received a $2,500 donation from real estate developer Stanley Tate, who earlier this year spearheaded an effort to stop a skate park from being built near a historic city cemetery and Jewish synagogue.
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
- Florida Might Remove Confederate Flag From State Senate Seal
Thu., Oct. 15, 7:00pm
Thu., Oct. 15, 7:30pm
Sat., Oct. 17, 12:00am
Sat., Oct. 17, 10:00am
- First Speaker of the House From Florida? Rep. Dan Webster Considered Dark-Horse Candidate
- Local Entrepreneurs Create New, College-Only Social Network