Man Found Shot to Death in Truck
In today's news roundup: A dead body is found in a truck, a teacher drives while under the influence of booze and Xanax, and those huge LCD billboards in downtown Miami have a long way to go before they're erected.
A dead body was found sitting in a blue Chevy SS pickup truck outside the LaFayette apartment building at 150 NE 79th St. in Miami. Police say the man was shot to death in the truck.
Witnesses claim the shooter was a man in his 30s who took off in a blue Ford Taurus. Police are searching for the perp, and after the shooting, no one was allowed to leave the building.[CBS4]
- Sixteen-year-old Luis Hernandez was arrested and charged with shooting a 17-year-old-boy and his 2-year-old niece. Both survived, but Hernandez is being charged with two counts of attempted murder. [CBS4]
- Joann Tomas, a teacher at Chapman Elementary School, was charged with driving under the influence of Xanax and alcohol and resisted arrest when she was pulled over. [WSVN]
- Even though the Miami City Commission has approved tower LCD billboards for downtown, they still face several hurdles before they're erected. The county, state, and federal governments may also claim jurisdiction and block or alter the project. [Herald]
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss Miami New Times' biggest stories.
- Bill Advances That Would Ban Red Light Cameras in Florida
Wed., Feb. 10, 7:30pm
Thu., Feb. 11, 7:00pm
Fri., Feb. 12, 7:30pm
Sat., Feb. 13, 6:00pm
- Facebook Killer Derek Medina Gets Life in Prison, Vows to Sue Entire World
- Marco Rubio's Friend Didn't Know About Gay Porn House, Site's Owner Says