Man Dies After Eating Cruise Ship Food
In today's surprisingly light roundup of horrible things and various crimes that happened over the weekend in our fair metropolis: Norwegian's Epic cruise ship is forced back to the Port of Miami after a man dies after eating food, a gunman attacks a Greyhound bus, and the city's bond status is called into question.
Sailing on the Epic, one of the world's largest cruise ships, ought to be an experience you never forget -- endless entertainment, shopping, and food. Ah, food, so much food. Food you've probably never even tasted before. Just make sure you do not have an allergy to any of this food, because it can kill you.
Norwegian Cruise Lines' Epic, which normally departs from Port Everglades but has been in and out of the Port of Miami as well, had to cut short a seven-day Caribbean cruise. A 21-year-old man died after eating food he was allergic to. The allergy triggered a heart attack, and the man died. He was with six other members of his family, according to the Miami Herald and its source, "Cruizinpooh."
This forced the ship to return to the Port of Miami early Sunday, just hours after it had departed. After dropping off the family and the body, the ship left again to continue its voyage. [Herald]
- Credit ratings company Fitch has changed its outlook on many City of Miami bonds from "stable" to "negative." [SFBJ]
- A Greyhound bus traveling on I-95 just north of the county line was attacked by a gunman in another vehicle. A man driving a Land Rover Discovery pulled up next to the bus and opened fire. Several windows were damaged, but no one was hurt. [JustNews]
- Oh, hey, just a reminder: Bill Clinton will be in town today rallying for Senate candidate Kendrick Meek. [CBS4]
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss Miami New Times' biggest stories.
- Erika Now Projected To Miss South Florida
Fri., Sep. 4, 11:30am
Fri., Sep. 4, 6:35pm
Sat., Sep. 5, 11:30am
Sat., Sep. 5, 7:00pm
- Miami's Latin Builders Association Calls Donald Trump "Repugnant," Pulls Gala From His...
- Micky Arison Teases Internet With Miami Vice-Style Heat Jerseys