Love Letter to Alexander Payne
Dear Alexander Payne: How do I love thee? Let me count the ways:
1) You made Election and About Schmidt, two hilarious, probing comedies about suburban anomie and human angst.
2) You followed these with Sideways, transporting the same deep humor into a totally different milieu and combining a loser-buddy pic with an homage to the central California coast.
3) You cast Paul Giamatti.
4) You cast Virginia Madsen.
5) You turned down George Clooney -- who wanted the part of has-been actor Jack -- because nobody would believe he was a has-been.
6) Instead of Clooney, you went with Thomas Haden Church, an actual has-been, who aced the role.
7) You refused, in short, to sell out.
8) Even though your money was coming from a studio.
9) You knew how to maintain control, including in the casting.
10) And you trusted that your vision was superior.
11) Finally, you stayed intimate, resisting the temptation to make a grand, Hollywood-style epic with Big Themes.
12) Unlike some directors I could mention, but won't.
13) Okay, it's Jean-Pierre Jeunet, whose films are getting successively worse.
14) What is A Very Long Engagement? It is an overhyped, overly sentimental rehearsal of a thousand films we've seen before.
15) But enough about him.
16) Thanks, Mr. Payne. I love you.
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss Miami New Times' biggest stories.
- Bill Advances That Would Ban Red Light Cameras in Florida
Wed., Feb. 10, 7:30pm
Thu., Feb. 11, 7:00pm
Fri., Feb. 12, 7:30pm
Sat., Feb. 13, 6:00pm
- Facebook Killer Derek Medina Gets Life in Prison, Vows to Sue Entire World
- Marco Rubio's Friend Didn't Know About Gay Porn House, Site's Owner Says