Last Time Unemployment Was This High It Was A Pretty Good Year For Miami
Unemployment in America has reached 8.5%, the highest it's been since 1983! Egads! Remember those horrible times of 1983 -- I don't, because I was not born -- but it actually seems that 1983 was a banner year for Miami. Maybe history will repeat itself.
- The Miami Hurricanes won their first NCAA Division 1-A football championship, kicking off their run as "team of the 80's."
- The Miami Dolphins meanwhile drafted a quarterback known as Dan Marino, and finished first in the AFC East, four games ahead of the second place Patriots.
- A movie called Scarface debuted, becoming a touchstone in Miami culture.
- Christo and Jeanne-Claude completed their work on "Surrounded Islands" foreshadowing Miami's emergence years later as an art city to take seriously.
So maybe you don't have a job right now. Things much bigger, and much more important than your individual needs happened the last time we were in this mess, so cheer up, eh?
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss Miami New Times' biggest stories.
- Baseball Player's Former Assistant Sold His $167K Boat Behind His Back in Opa-locka
- Goat Blood-Drinking Senate Candidate Tried to Get Miley Cyrus' Endorsement
- Poll: Floridians Really Don't Want Guns on Campuses