Jonathan Martin Turns Down Opportunity to Return to the Dolphins
Jonathan Martin wants to play in the NFL again. He just doesn't want to do it for the Miami Dolphins. Dolphins executives recently met with Martin's agent and presented a possible first step toward Martin's return to the team, but Martin decided he'd be better off going elsewhere.
According to CBS Sports, Dolphins VP of football operations Dawn Aponte, general manager Dennis Hickey, and coach Joe Philbin met with Martin's agents at the NFL Combine. Hickey, the team's brand new GM, was apparently eager to see Martin return, but Martin's agents said that he wouldn't feel comfortable playing for the team.
Philbin remained more reserved during the meeting, but apparently communicated that he thought Martin's agents were responsible for much of the public controversy. According to the report, Philbin believes the incident could have been handled more privately.
However, one of Martin's agents told CBS Sports that their reports wasn't "even close" to the truth.
Of possible issue is the fact that if Martin returned to the Fins he'd still be playing under the terms of his rookie contract. If he was released from that contract it's possible he could sign with another team for more compensation.
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss Miami New Times' biggest stories.
- Dolphins Fire Kevin Coyle, Promote Lou Anarumo
Thu., Oct. 15, 7:00pm
Thu., Oct. 15, 7:30pm
Sat., Oct. 17, 12:00am
Sat., Oct. 17, 10:00am
- The Six Phases of a Gentrifying Neighborhood in Miami
- Chiquitica, Dog Who Sailed From Cuba Last Month, Hit by Car