Jeff Ireland Called a Dolphins Fan an Asshole
Jeff Ireland, the Miami Dolphins general manager best noted for asking Dez Bryant if his mother was a prostitute, has let his mouth get him into more trouble. During Sunday's game, a fan informed Ireland that he should "fire himself." (Of all the things angry sports fans usually tell others to do to themselves, that's pretty tame). Ireland has now confirmed he responded by calling the fan an "asshole."
The fan, who identified himself as "Sean," called into 790 AM The Ticket to recount his side of the story. Ireland was walking through the concourse during halftime, and, surprisingly, was greeted pleasantly by most fans. He took pictures, signed autographs, shook hands, all of that. Sean then called Ireland over, and began complaining about Ireland's mismanagement of the team and suggested, "We need you to fire yourself."
Ireland then apparently turned away, but muttered the word "asshole" loud enough for fans to hear him.
"It caught me off guard," Ireland told The Miami Herald's Dolphins blog. "I just turned and walked away but I did say the word. I regret I used the word I used. I thought I was using it under my breath. I guess I kind of said it loud enough that he could hear it. I literally said it under my breath. At the time I felt I handled the situation pretty good. Probably muttered it a little too loud. I regret that I said anything."
Classic Ireland. Always giving people reason to get pissed off him. Dude should at least be riding something of a wave of good feelings after the Dolphin's win on Sunday, but now he's dealing with this.
- Your Miami Dolphins 2012 Season Drinking Game: Drink the Pain Away
- Joey Porter Rips Jeff Ireland: Not "What a GM's Supposed To Be"
- Dolphins GM Jeff Ireland Asked Dez Bryant If His Mom Was a Prostitute
- Miami Dolphins Obliterate the Oakland Raiders 35 - 13
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss Miami New Times' biggest stories.
- Facebook Killer Derek Medina Found Guilty
- St. Louis Rams Player Stedman Bailey Expected to Survive After Drive-By Shooting in...
- With Beckham's Little Havana Stadium Just About Dead, Overtown Could Be Next