Hugo Chávez-Loving Boxer Edwin Valero Kills Wife, Hangs Himself in Jail
Edwin Valero racked up an impressive 29-0 record in his professional boxing career, all ending with KOs, with 19 in the first round. The Venezuelan was never destined to be popular in Miami, considering he had a giant portrait of Hugo Chávez tattooed on his chest, but he's dead now. He was charged with killing his 24-year-old wife this weekend after her body was found with stab wounds in a hotel room in Valencia.
Valera was taken into custody but was found hanging from a makeshift noose made of his own clothes. [Sun-Sentinel]
- Dwyane Wade is excited about next year's higher than expected salary cap for the Heat, indicating that in his mind he's still committed to staying in Miami next year. [PBPost]
- Despite a weird and wet Sunday game, the Canes baseball team completed its first series sweep of UNC since 1998. [Herald]
- The Marlins defeated Philadelphia 2-0. [Herald]
- St. Thomas Aquinas High School could make NFL draft history for the most former players drafted in a single year. As many as five ex-Raiders could find themselves selected. [SunSent]
- Lady Canes tennis beat defending national champs Duke Blue Devils this weekend. [Herald]
Get the Weekly Newsletter
Our weekly feature stories, movie reviews, calendar picks and more - minus the newsprint and sent directly to your inbox.