Hugo Chávez-Loving Boxer Edwin Valero Kills Wife, Hangs Himself in Jail
Edwin Valero racked up an impressive 29-0 record in his professional boxing career, all ending with KOs, with 19 in the first round. The Venezuelan was never destined to be popular in Miami, considering he had a giant portrait of Hugo Chávez tattooed on his chest, but he's dead now. He was charged with killing his 24-year-old wife this weekend after her body was found with stab wounds in a hotel room in Valencia.
Valera was taken into custody but was found hanging from a makeshift noose made of his own clothes. [Sun-Sentinel]
- Dwyane Wade is excited about next year's higher than expected salary cap for the Heat, indicating that in his mind he's still committed to staying in Miami next year. [PBPost]
- Despite a weird and wet Sunday game, the Canes baseball team completed its first series sweep of UNC since 1998. [Herald]
- The Marlins defeated Philadelphia 2-0. [Herald]
- St. Thomas Aquinas High School could make NFL draft history for the most former players drafted in a single year. As many as five ex-Raiders could find themselves selected. [SunSent]
- Lady Canes tennis beat defending national champs Duke Blue Devils this weekend. [Herald]
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Miami, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.