Florida Teacher Suspended for Making Students Study Lil Wayne Lyrics
Catcher in the Rye, The Adventures of Huck Finn, The Carter IV. Guess which literary endeavor that includes some questionable language got a Florida teacher suspended after he taught it in class? Yeah, it was the Lil Wayne album.
A Boynton Beach charter school placed a teacher on a three-day suspension after handing out uncensored lyrics to Wayne's song "6 Foot 7" in class.
"The lesson was for students to learn to identify literary devices. The teacher had already introduced Edgar Allen Poe and Shakespeare. Students were having difficulty grasping the concepts of literary devices such as: pun, simile, metaphor, so the teacher used colloquial material. This material did not meet the school's standards and was not approved. The teacher recognizes that it was totally inappropriate for a school assignment," Wayne Ownes, the headmaster of the The Charter Schools of Boynton Beach said in a statement released to WPTV.
The school added that the teacher had an unblemished record, but did recognize afterward that giving the lyrics to students was probably not the best idea.
The song includes lyrics like:
- "Swagger down pat, call my shit Patricia."
- "Life is the bitch, and death is her sister / Sleep is the cousin, what a fuckin' family picture."
- "Mind so sharp, I fuck around and cut my head off."
- And of course the legendary line "Bitch, real G's move in silence like lasagna." Which, you know, is just about as clever as anything Shakespear ever wrote.
A concerned parent who talked to WPTV said she appreciated the teacher thinking outside of the box, but thought circulating lyrics with racial slurs, sexual innuendo, and curse words was a bit too far out of the box.
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss Miami New Times' biggest stories.
- Bill Advances That Would Ban Red Light Cameras in Florida
Fri., Feb. 12, 7:30pm
Sat., Feb. 13, 6:00pm
Sat., Feb. 13, 7:00pm
Mon., Feb. 15, 7:30pm
- Facebook Killer Derek Medina Gets Life in Prison, Vows to Sue Entire World
- Marco Rubio's Friend Didn't Know About Gay Porn House, Site's Owner Says