Florida GOP Chair Jim Greer to Resign
Greer was never the most popular figure in certain factions of the party, but the final shoe dropped last week when a baker's dozen of loaded fundraisers signed an open letter calling for a change in party leadership.
Greer was elected in 2006, and was Gov. Charlie Crist's pick for the position. Let's look back at some of his accomplishments:
- He highjacked the news cycle this fall with his ridiculous assertion that President Obama's address to schoolchildren was "indoctrination," only to admit the speech was fine after he actually read it.
- Under his leadership, the party ran into a few financial mini-scandals involving personal charges on AmEx cards and more recently a deficit in party spending.
- He was an early supporter of electing Michael Steele to head the national party, which has turned out hilariously.
- He pissed off a bunch of conservatives by making early endorsements in the 2010 Senate and gubernatorial races and by, as some saw it, trying to purge conservatives from leadership positions.
- He is well known for breaking into song, especially Elvis tunes. Thanks, thanks a lot.
Thrasher is expected to take the helm. A former speaker of the Florida House, Thrasher was a big-time lobbyist who's been hounded by ethics violations.
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Miami, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.