Florida Burglar Takes Nap on Couch, Accomplice Leaves Him
There's no honor among thieves, and apparently no complimentary wake-up service either.
Domonique Pinkard, 21, and Julian Evangelist, 20, broke into a home in Lady Lake, Florida, on Sunday, but when Pinkard passed out on the victim's coach, Evangelist decided to just leave him there. Which turned out to be a big mistake.
According to the Orlando Sentinel, the pair kicked in the back door of the home about 7:30 a.m. The pair targeted jewelry and electronics. When Evangelist was hauling a TV set out of the door, Pinkard decided to lie on the couch and take a nap.
"Evangelist apparently chose not to wake Pinkard, but left with the victim's TV instead," police Chief Chris McKinstry said in a statement.
Pinkard was apparently out cold. The homeowner eventually returned to find Pinkard napping on the couch but didn't wake him either. Instead, the victim called police. Pinkard woke up only when the officers finally nudged him out of his slumber. They later found jewelry in his pockets.
Of course, if you're going to pull off a burglary, you shouldn't leave someone who knows your identity behind at the scene. Pinkard led police to Evangelist's home down the block, which, hell, I would have done too if my friend left me napping in a stranger's house.
Both men were arrested and charged with burglary and larceny grand theft. Luckily for the homeowner, all stolen property was recovered.
So what did we learn from this?
1. Always get a good night's sleep before attempting important endeavors, like, you know, burglary.
2. Never leave a napping accomplice behind at the crime scene.
3. Apparently a big, comfy couch is as good a crime deterrent as anything. May we suggest leaving gentle lullabies playing on the stereo as an extra security measure?
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss Miami New Times' biggest stories.
- Miami Drag Queen Elaine Lancaster Pulled a Man From a Burning Car in Greece
Sat., Aug. 1, 5:35pm
Sun., Aug. 2, 1:05pm
Tue., Aug. 4, 6:35pm
Wed., Aug. 5, 6:35pm
- Judge Mindy Glazer Recognizes Another Defendant in Court, This Time a Cruise Ship...
- Miami Developer to Give Gov. Rick Scott Environmentalist Award