Florida Burglar Takes Nap on Couch, Accomplice Leaves Him
There's no honor among thieves, and apparently no complimentary wake-up service either.
Domonique Pinkard, 21, and Julian Evangelist, 20, broke into a home in Lady Lake, Florida, on Sunday, but when Pinkard passed out on the victim's coach, Evangelist decided to just leave him there. Which turned out to be a big mistake.
According to the Orlando Sentinel, the pair kicked in the back door of the home about 7:30 a.m. The pair targeted jewelry and electronics. When Evangelist was hauling a TV set out of the door, Pinkard decided to lie on the couch and take a nap.
"Evangelist apparently chose not to wake Pinkard, but left with the victim's TV instead," police Chief Chris McKinstry said in a statement.
Pinkard was apparently out cold. The homeowner eventually returned to find Pinkard napping on the couch but didn't wake him either. Instead, the victim called police. Pinkard woke up only when the officers finally nudged him out of his slumber. They later found jewelry in his pockets.
Of course, if you're going to pull off a burglary, you shouldn't leave someone who knows your identity behind at the scene. Pinkard led police to Evangelist's home down the block, which, hell, I would have done too if my friend left me napping in a stranger's house.
Both men were arrested and charged with burglary and larceny grand theft. Luckily for the homeowner, all stolen property was recovered.
So what did we learn from this?
1. Always get a good night's sleep before attempting important endeavors, like, you know, burglary.
2. Never leave a napping accomplice behind at the crime scene.
3. Apparently a big, comfy couch is as good a crime deterrent as anything. May we suggest leaving gentle lullabies playing on the stereo as an extra security measure?
Get the Weekly Newsletter
Our weekly feature stories, movie reviews, calendar picks and more - minus the newsprint and sent directly to your inbox.
- Court Rules Michael Pizzi Should Be Reinstated as Mayor of Miami Lakes
Tue., April 28, 6:35 p.m.
Thu., April 30, 6:35 p.m.
Fri., May 1, 6 p.m.
Fri., May 1, 6:35 p.m.
- 305 Is One of the Most In-Demand Area Codes in the Country
- DJ Laz Won't Face Criminal Charges Over Deadly Nixon Sandbar Boat Accident