At around 2 p.m. yesterday, a maid walked into a room at the Hialeah motel at which she worked and discovered the bodies of five dead teenagers. WSVN reports that police believe the deaths were a result of a tragic accident.
Names and identities of the victims have not been released, but the teens were all believed to be between 16 and 19. Updated.
The teens were staying at the Presidente Motel, at 1395 SE 8th Court, to celebrate one of the group member's birthdays. The Presidente features a unique set up in which most rooms are directly over private garages.
Friends who had been with the group before they died tell police that the teens had decided to leave their car running in the closed garage below their room. They were worried that they couldn't get the car going in the morning. Unfortunately, leaving a car running in a closed garage is a recipe for disaster.
The carbon monoxide from the engine wafted up into the group's room and killed all five teens while they were sleeping.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
Everyone else in the motel was evacuated, and investigators will look into the safety of the ventilation system at the Presidente.