Five Dead in Murder-Suicide in Hialeah Restaurant
A man shot six women -- killing four -- at a Hialeah restaurant on June 6, before leaving the scene and eventually killing himself on one of the most gruesome killing sprees in the history of the city.
According to WSVN,the shootings started after a argument between a man and his girlfriend in the parking lot of El Yoyito Restaurant, at 351 E. 45th Street. After shooting the woman several times in the parking lot of the restaurant, the man walked inside and shot the other women who were apparently acquaintances of his girlfriend. He left the scene in one of the victim's car but police found him dead a few blocks away, after an apparent suicide a short while later.
- Can you say maximum allowable penalty for a DUI? Mary Lindsay, 61, will likely know the term well after she plowed into two police sergeants in the early morning June 5, allegedly while under the influence. The cops sustained extensive injuries and are still recovering in the hospital. [Channel10]
- It didn't have the same fanfair as when Pope John Paul II stormed through downtown Miami in the Popemobile, still 100s attended the first mass of new Miami Archbishop Thomas Wesnki held in Little Haiti. [WPLG]
- Don't even bother looking for those coins, paying cash will no longer be accepted on Gratigny Parkway/State Road 924 starting today with the introduction Open Road Tolling (ORT). If you don't have a Sunpass, you'll be sent a bill--with a nice processing fee added as well.[CBS4]
- The jig is up for hundreds of thousands of illegal immigrants after Gov. Charlie Crist signed into law a bill that makes it illegal to possess pythons and other non-native snakes in Florida. [AP]
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss Miami New Times' biggest stories.
- Frost Family Bails Out Cash-Strapped Science Museum, Cans Entire Board of Directors
Sat., Feb. 13, 6:00pm
Sat., Feb. 13, 7:00pm
Mon., Feb. 15, 7:30pm
Thu., Feb. 18, 7:30pm
- University of Miami Students Now Have $9,000 Napping Pods to Use on Campus
- Florida LGBT Rights Bill Dead; Still Legal to Fire Someone for Being Gay