Five Bank Fraudsters Die in Fiery Getaway Car Crash
Other things happened in Miami yesterday besides the arrival of LeBron James. Horrible things such as a bizarre car crash that killed five, a fatal shooting in Hialeah, and a plan to bring more red-light cameras to Miami Beach.
- Five people committed fraud at a Southwest Miami bank and then sped off in a stolen getaway car. The vehicle smashed through a fence, crashed into a tree near the entrance of Zoo Miami (née Metrozoo), and caught fire. By the time rescue personal arrived, four people in the car were already a dead. One woman was removed from the car but pronounced dead shortly thereafter. [CBS4]
- Miami Beach officials have recommended that 15 more red-light cameras be installed. [Herald]
- A man was fatally shot in Hialeah yesterday. Two men are in custody. [WSVN]
- The man who drowned last month off Virginia Key while trying to save four young children has been posthumously honored by the county for his good deed. [WSVN]
- Environmentalists concerned about the expansion of Turkey Point will get to air their worries in two special meetings next week. [Herald]
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Miami, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.