Five Bank Fraudsters Die in Fiery Getaway Car Crash
Other things happened in Miami yesterday besides the arrival of LeBron James. Horrible things such as a bizarre car crash that killed five, a fatal shooting in Hialeah, and a plan to bring more red-light cameras to Miami Beach.
- Five people committed fraud at a Southwest Miami bank and then sped off in a stolen getaway car. The vehicle smashed through a fence, crashed into a tree near the entrance of Zoo Miami (née Metrozoo), and caught fire. By the time rescue personal arrived, four people in the car were already a dead. One woman was removed from the car but pronounced dead shortly thereafter. [CBS4]
- Miami Beach officials have recommended that 15 more red-light cameras be installed. [Herald]
- A man was fatally shot in Hialeah yesterday. Two men are in custody. [WSVN]
- The man who drowned last month off Virginia Key while trying to save four young children has been posthumously honored by the county for his good deed. [WSVN]
- Environmentalists concerned about the expansion of Turkey Point will get to air their worries in two special meetings next week. [Herald]
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss Miami New Times' biggest stories.
- Florida Might Remove Confederate Flag From State Senate Seal
Thu., Oct. 15, 7:00pm
Thu., Oct. 15, 7:30pm
Sat., Oct. 17, 12:00am
Sat., Oct. 17, 10:00am
- First Speaker of the House From Florida? Rep. Dan Webster Considered Dark-Horse Candidate
- Local Entrepreneurs Create New, College-Only Social Network