Fire Destroys Studio Space at Lincoln Road ArtCenter
Officials believe they've caught the South Beach arsonist, but the Miami Beach Fire Department was still feeling the heat this weekend when an unrelated fire sparked up in the ArtCenter South Florida on Lincoln Road. The fire destroyed one artist's studio completely, while two other studios were severely damaged by water.
The fire erupted yesterday afternoon at the ArtCenter on Lincoln Road and Michigan Avenue during a peak time for the area. Fire crews and police blocked off the area, and everyone inside was quickly evacuated.
They were able to put out the fire before it spread to other studio spaces, but the water used to douse the flames damaged other works of art.
"I think the impact is more to the individual artists and the damage to their own work and how unfortunate that can be," Art Center/South Florida Executive Director Jeremy Chestler told WSVN, "so I think it's a lot more emotion involved than it is actual material damage."
The cause of the fire has not yet been discovered. The ArtCenter will be closed today for clean up.
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss Miami New Times' biggest stories.
- Baseball Player's Former Assistant Sold His $167K Boat Behind His Back in Opa-locka
- Goat Blood-Drinking Senate Candidate Tried to Get Miley Cyrus' Endorsement
- Poll: Floridians Really Don't Want Guns on Campuses