Exploding Pressure Cooker Severs 79-Year-Old Woman's Leg
Pressure cookers can save time in the kitchen, but also can be extremely dangerous if used incorrectly. The pressure cooker of a 79-year-old woman exploded yesterday after falling on the floor. Scalding hot food was sent rupturing around the kitchen, and a piece of the pot severed the woman's leg right above the ankle. The victim could have bled to death. Luckily a quick-thinking man came to her rescue.
The incident happened yesterday around 10 a.m. at the woman's home in the 1700 block of Southwest 24th Terrace.
After the pot exploded, a man in the home used his belt to create a make-shift tourniquet as they waited for paramedics to arrive, according to The Miami Herald. That quick thinking may have prevented the woman from bleeding to death.
After paramedics arrived, the woman was taken to Jackson Memorial Hospital's Ryder Trauma Center and is expected to survive.
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss Miami New Times' biggest stories.
- Miami's Latin Builders Association Calls Donald Trump "Repugnant," Pulls Gala From His...
Thu., Sep. 3, 6:35pm
Fri., Sep. 4, 11:30am
Fri., Sep. 4, 6:35pm
Sat., Sep. 5, 11:30am
- Micky Arison Teases Internet With Miami Vice-Style Heat Jerseys
- Critical Mass Rides Tonight in Memory of Fallen Cyclist and Ahead of Tropical Storm Erika