Ex-Principal Heads to Trial for Covering up Statutory Rape in Bathroom
Three years ago, former Miami Northwestern Senior High principal Dwight Bernard was indicted for allegedly covering up sex that happened in a school bathroom between an 18-year-old football star and a 14-year-old girl. Now he's headed to trial.
- 23-year-old Ulysses Bouie is expected to recover quickly after being shot by a police officer. Bouie was drunk and involved in a knife fight. Though his family claims he was unarmed when he approached an officer, police say he physically threatened the female officer. [WSVN]
- A mother who beat her 3-year-old son to death 20 years ago on Miami Beach will get a new trial. The trial had been delayed for eight years but is expected to begin May 10. [CBS4]
- A mother and her child are recovering after their SUV crashed yesterday. [WSVN]
- A grandmother who left her grandchild in a hot car, leading to the tot's death, cut a plea deal. Instead of serving 30 years in prison, she'll get five years of probation. [JustNews]
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss Miami New Times' biggest stories.
- Dolphins Fire Kevin Coyle, Promote Lou Anarumo
Thu., Oct. 15, 7:00pm
Thu., Oct. 15, 7:30pm
Sat., Oct. 17, 12:00am
Sat., Oct. 17, 10:00am
- The Six Phases of a Gentrifying Neighborhood in Miami
- Chiquitica, Dog Who Sailed From Cuba Last Month, Hit by Car