Everyone Running for Miami-Dade Mayor
Candidates running for Miami-Dade mayor in the special May 24 election to replace recalled Carlos Alvarez had to register by 5 p.m. today. There are very few surprises in the list of candidates (read: no last-minute Alex Penelas filing), but here's a look at your choices on the ballot in a couple of weeks.
- Julio Robaina (Hialeah mayor since 2005)
- Marcelo Llorente (a former Republican state representative)
- Carlos Gimenez (resigned from his seat on the Miami-Dade County Commission, which could trigger another special election)
- Roosevelt Bradley (former Miami-Dade Transit director)
- Luther "Uncle Luke" Campbell (2 Live Crew leader and New Times columnist)
- Jose "Pepe" Cancio (former appointed county commissioner who replaced Miriam Alonso)
- Jeffrey Lampert
- Farid Khavari (an economist who ran as an independent in the 2010 Florida gubernatorial election on a platform to create a state bank)
- Gabrielle Redfern (bicycling activist and former Miami Beach Commission candidate)
- Eddie Lewis (former candidate for Miami-Dade tax appraiser)
- Wilbur Bell
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Miami, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.