If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
Candidates running for Miami-Dade mayor in the special May 24 election to replace recalled Carlos Alvarez had to register by 5 p.m. today. There are very few surprises in the list of candidates (read: no last-minute Alex Penelas filing), but here's a look at your choices on the ballot in a couple of weeks.
- Julio Robaina (Hialeah mayor since 2005)
- Marcelo Llorente (a former Republican state representative)
- Carlos Gimenez (resigned from his seat on the Miami-Dade County Commission, which could trigger another special election)
- Roosevelt Bradley (former Miami-Dade Transit director)
- Luther "Uncle Luke" Campbell (2 Live Crew leader and New Times columnist)
- Jose "Pepe" Cancio (former appointed county commissioner who replaced Miriam Alonso)
- Jeffrey Lampert
- Farid Khavari (an economist who ran as an independent in the 2010 Florida gubernatorial election on a platform to create a state bank)
- Gabrielle Redfern (bicycling activist and former Miami Beach Commission candidate)
- Eddie Lewis (former candidate for Miami-Dade tax appraiser)
- Wilbur Bell