Election 2011: Matti Bower Gets Saxed, Marc Sarnoff Tackles His Ultimate Hater, and Carlos Hernandez Wants His Shirt Back
No election in Hialeah, Miami, and Miami Beach is complete without a little political sofrito to spice things up. Thanks to some innovative instigators, cameras have been chronicling strange encounters involving candidates running for office in those three cities.
As voters head to the polls tomorrow, we bring you the four most bizarre moments on the campaign trail:
4. Steve Berke wanted to let Matti Bower know that she should never cheat taxpayers because Miami Beach voters are not some fools. So the 30-year-old comedian and Yale grad had Sexy Sax Man Sergio Flores blow "Careless Whispers" for her at a city commission meeting.
3. Outside an IHOP, while confronting blogger Elaine de Valle, Hialeah Council President Isis Garcia-Martinez proves chusmeria is alive and well in la ciudad que progresa. After the incident, Garcia-Martinez didn't follow through on her threat to get a restraining order against de Valle. Que descaro!
2. Marc Sarnoff catches his nemesis Reid Welch spray painting his campaign signs. A scuffle ensues. Both men blame each other . Sarnoff admits to owning more than 10 guns and has raised about a half million dollars to stay in power. Sure Welch huffs propane, but he is only armed with a camera. You decide who is more dangerous.
1. On the last day of early voting, Hialeah Mayor Carlos Hernandez shows he is not too old to act like a whiny kindergartner who doesn't want to share his toys. Upon seeing de Valle with one of his campaign shirts, he demands someone call the cops to arrest her for stealing. What a mope!
Get the Weekly Newsletter
Our weekly feature stories, movie reviews, calendar picks and more - minus the newsprint and sent directly to your inbox.
- Court Rules Michael Pizzi Should Be Reinstated as Mayor of Miami Lakes
Tue., April 28, 6:35 p.m.
Thu., April 30, 6:35 p.m.
Fri., May 1, 6 p.m.
Fri., May 1, 6:35 p.m.
- 305 Is One of the Most In-Demand Area Codes in the Country
- DJ Laz Won't Face Criminal Charges Over Deadly Nixon Sandbar Boat Accident