Driver on Cell Phone Kills 73-Year-Old Man in Hit-and-Run on Eighth Street
Ramon Loret Demola, age 73, was walking on the sidewalk along SW Eighth Street near 24th Avenue yesterday when he was struck by what's being described as a white or light silver or gray SUV. The driver, who witnesses say was talking on a cell phone, drove his car onto the sidewalk, hit Demola, and dragged him. The driver never stopped. Demola was taken to the hospital in critical condition and later died.
The driver is male, and the SUV is believed to have damage on the right side between the headlight and front passenger door. Anyone with information is asked to call Crime Stoppers at 305-471-TIPS. [WSVN | CBS4]
- Darren Nesbitt, age 39, has been arrested in connection with the murder of 17-year-old Danielle Wooden. Just more than a year ago, Wooden's body was found with a bullet in her head in an abandoned loading dock. Semen matching Nesbitt's DNA was found at the crime scene. [CBS4]
- Officials are worried that the oil spill could dissuade foreign tourists from traveling to Miami. In 2009, about half of all tourists in Miami-Dade came from out of the country. [WSVN]
- A recent graduate of Coral Gables High who spent most of her senior year homeless will attend FIU for free in the fall. [NBCMiami]
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss Miami New Times' biggest stories.
- Facebook Killer Derek Medina Found Guilty
- St. Louis Rams Player Stedman Bailey Expected to Survive After Drive-By Shooting in...
- With Beckham's Little Havana Stadium Just About Dead, Overtown Could Be Next