Cats Maul Mormons, Incite Furry Fandom
P. Scott Cunningham
Things you learn sitting at the press table at an NCAA Division I Tournament game:
- Keep your wife away from the winning mascot.
- Sports journalists are an unattractive species. Citizens of humanity, I beg you: do not mate with these people. This gene pool needs to die out.
- Apparently, the band Toto is big in the Southwest. During a critical timeout, the Arizona pep band launched into an unjustifiably enthusiastic rendition of "Africa."
- 79% of male cheerleaders resemble cast members of Saved by the Bell.
- The press area has a long table upon which multiple silver buffet trays are laid out...with nothing in them. But there is a great popcorn machine.
- The other big perk is that someone walks up and down the press tables every ten minutes handing out free print-outs of the statistical break-down of the game as it stood about eight minutes ago, despite the fact that every journalist has a laptop and wireless access. Someone needs to tell the NCAA that this kind of paper-wasting is exactly what took Lehman Brothers down.
- Oh, and a bunch of guys played basketball. Some better than others.
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Miami, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.