Carlos Bertonatti's Latest Trial Delay: House Arrest Extended Until January
Earlier this month, Carlos Bertonatti finally left his Key Biscayne house arrest and headed down to the Gerstein Justice Building to face charges that he drunkenly killed a cyclist on the Rickenbacker Causeway in January 2010. His criminal trial, after nine delays, was at last scheduled to start last Monday.
It didn't happen. Bertonatti's case has been delayed yet again and is now set to resume in January -- a full two years after Christophe LeCanne was killed on his morning bike ride.
- Carlos Bertonatti Is Finally Back in Court Over Killing a Cyclist on the Rickenbacker Causeway
- Carlos Bertonatti Gets Ninth Delay in Trial for Killing Biker on Rickenbacker
- Causeway Hit-and-Run Driver Carlos Bertonatti Isn't the Only Troublemaker in His Family
- Musician Carlos Bertonatti Charged in Fatal DUI Key Biscayne Crash; Bikers Outraged
"The prosecutor in the case is having surgery," says Ed Griffith, a spokesman for the State Attorney's Office.
When Bertonatti appeared for a pre-trial hearing on Oct. 5, his attorney, the Miami Herald reported that his attorneys were heard discussing a plea deal and told a judge they were surprised to learn that prosecutors didn't have such a deal on the table.
But Griffith says that discussion has nothing to do with the delay, and that prosecutors never had any plea deal.
"We are ready to go to trial," he says. "This talk of a plea deal is only coming from one side in this case."
Bertonatti's attorney, Leonard Sands, didn't return a call from Riptide to comment on the latest delay.
Bertonatti faces a felony DUI manslaughter charge as well as two other felonies. His trial is now scheduled to start in January.
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss Miami New Times' biggest stories.
- Bill Advances That Would Ban Red Light Cameras in Florida
Thu., Feb. 11, 7:00pm
Fri., Feb. 12, 7:30pm
Sat., Feb. 13, 6:00pm
Sat., Feb. 13, 7:00pm
- Facebook Killer Derek Medina Gets Life in Prison, Vows to Sue Entire World
- Marco Rubio's Friend Didn't Know About Gay Porn House, Site's Owner Says