Bruno Barreiro Holds Fundraiser In Norman Braman's Neighborhood
A county commissioner targeted for termination by Norman Braman is taking the fight to the billionaire activist's home turf. Tonight, Indian Creek residents Carlos Peralta Quintero and his wife will hold a fundraiser for Bruno Barreiro at their three-acre, 13-bedroom, ten-bathroom waterfront estate.
Braman lives about a mile up Indian Creek Road in a more modest palace with only eight bedrooms and seven bathrooms.
- Incumbent County Commissioners Demolish Norman Braman's Slate
- Bruno Barreiro Loves Going to the Apple Store With Campaign Funds
- Bruno Barreiro and Barbara Jordan Collect Thousands From Developers Who Benefit From Their Votes
Barreiro is locked in a runoff against state Rep. Luis Garcia, who was one of four candidates Braman supported in his quest to unseat a quartet of incumbent county commissioners.
Helping Peralta's rainmaking duties are Miami Mayor Tomás Regalado and county Commissioner Xavier Suarez, who have enjoyed Braman's support in past elections. Talk about being too close for comfort. Others on the host committee include Miami Beach Mayor Matti Bower, the Related Group founder and chief executive Jorge Perez and vice president Alberto Milo, as well as sugar baron Luis Garcia-Fanjul.
As of September 28, Barreiro has raised close to $295,000 to keep his seat. Garcia has collected $125,000. However, he's also getting support from two political action committees formed by Braman that has raised more than a half-million bucks.
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss Miami New Times' biggest stories.
- NBA Features 786 on Heat's Area Code Gear, Not 305
- Three of America's Worst Traffic Bottlenecks Are in Miami
- North Beach Plots Future After Rejecting Luxury Condo Plan On Ocean Terrace