Body of Missing Boater Domingo Vilalta Washes Ashore
In today's roundup, a missing boater's body is found washed ashore, an arrest is made in the accidental shooting death of a 4-year old, and dozens of veterans weren't notified they might have been exposed to hepatitis and HIV.
The body of 22-year-old Domingo Manuel Vilalta washed ashore Tuesday morning. Vilalta was out with friends during a party in two boats on the Fourth of July, but he never made it back with them. The boats returned to search for him, and police were called, but Vilalta wasn't found alive.
Police are investigating the incident as a possible homicide, and Vilalta's family believes he might have been purposefully pushed overboard after an argument. Police would not say whether the body showed signs of foul play or whether Vilalta or his friends had been drinking at the time. [Herald]
- 21-year-old Jonathan Dortch has been arrested after a 4-year-old accidentally shot himself to death with a gun. Dortch, who wasn't related to the boy, lived in the same house. The toddler somehow got a hold of Dortch's gun and ran off with it to another room. Dortch is being charged with culpable negligence and tampering with evidence. [Herald]
- Miami's VA hospital system caused a stir by announcing that several patients might have been exposed to hepatitis and HIV owing to unsterilized equipment. While none of the patients ended up being affected, the system failed to notify 79 veterans of the threat. [CBS4]
- Two drivers are dead after a high-speed accident on Flagler Street. [CBS4]
- Surveillance footage has been released of a man who opened fire at a coin laundry in Northwest Miami-Dade. [WSVN]
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss Miami New Times' biggest stories.
- Samir Jemaaoui Jumped to Death After Killing His Wife in South Beach
Sat., Feb. 13, 6:00pm
Sat., Feb. 13, 7:00pm
Mon., Feb. 15, 7:30pm
Thu., Feb. 18, 7:30pm
- Florida LGBT Rights Bill Stalled in Senate By GOP's Bathroom Obsession
- Florida's Largest Apple Store Is Coming to Brickell City Centre