Beckham's MLS Announcement Expected in Early February
Soccer fans in Miami shouldn't have to wait much longer. Major League Soccer Commissioner Don Garber announced today that he expects an official announcement to be made on David Beckham's plans to bring the league back to Miami sometime in the next 30 days.
"I was down there this past weekend, and I've been down there a lot, working with potential ownership and trying to finalize a stadium plan." Garber said today at the MLS SuperDraft according to MLSSoccer.com. "Right now, we've got a lot of work to do, and we'll announce something in early February."
Garber has previously alluded to a team coming to Miami during the official announcement of an Orlando-based MLS team late last year.
"This is the beginning for us in Florida," Garber said then. "We hope to have a couple rivals for you that might be across the state and perhaps a couple hundred miles down state."
The plan to reintroduce a team in Miami spearheaded by soccer legend David Beckham has been no secret, but several details remain unresolved. Most importantly as to where the team will play. It's expected that the team may play in an existing stadium during its first few seasons (either Sun Life or FIU) but would eventually needs its own digs. Plans for a stadium in the Port of Miami have been discussed, but other sites are also under consideration.
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss Miami New Times' biggest stories.
- Bill Advances That Would Ban Red Light Cameras in Florida
Thu., Feb. 11, 7:00pm
Fri., Feb. 12, 7:30pm
Sat., Feb. 13, 6:00pm
Sat., Feb. 13, 7:00pm
- Facebook Killer Derek Medina Gets Life in Prison, Vows to Sue Entire World
- Marco Rubio's Friend Didn't Know About Gay Porn House, Site's Owner Says