Beckham Group on Miami's Soccer Future: "Everything Is Progressing Very Well"
Now jettisoned plans for a stadium at PortMiami.
Amidst worries over the future of Major League Soccer in Miami, the David Bekcham-led group behind the proposed team has finally spoken up again after months of relative silence.
"The reality is that everything is progressing very well," a spokesperson for Miami Beckham United told Reuters."Miami is still David's number one choice and it will happen. The fans and the people of Miami are behind us and we hope to announce some positive and exciting news soon."
The release comes just a day after MLS Commissioner Don Garber warned that Bekcham's search "can't go on forever," according to the BBC.
The spokesman countered that "positive and exciting news" should be coming soon.
Miami Beckham United has now made two aggressive pitches to build a new waterfront soccer stadium: first at the Port of Miami, and then in Museum Park next to American Airlines Arena. Both were quickly shot down. Since then news has been relatively sparse.
"I've heard nothing," Miami Commissioner Marc Sarnoff told New Times last week. "I have heard zero from them for about five months."
A spokesman for Miami-Dade County Mayor Carlos Gimenez also noted that the group hasn't contacted the mayor in several months.
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Miami, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.