Around Town This Weekend: More Bike Love, Naked Golden Gals, and Other Heifers
As Bike Month winds down, join a few theme rides this weekend. Otherwise, Winter Music Conference begins this Wednesday, so Miami is pretty quiet on the music front as we all await the arrival of ten million DJs. Spend the weekend reading our WMC rundown here.
- Throw a touch of fancy into your bike ride by getting glammed up and riding with other well-dressed friends at Friday's Bike Prom.
- See choreographer Yin Mei's "City of Paper," which will try to translate the Chinese Cultural Revolution into modern dance. Sounds tricky.
- It all started with a nudie portrait of the late, great Bea Arthur. Now there are also erotic posings of Blanche, Rose, and Sophia at the "Golden Gals Gone Wild" exhibit.
- Here's hoping Saturday stays cool for the layers required at the Tweed Ride.
Not only will the dress be a nod to history, but also a professor of
architecture will accompany riders to point out the historic buildings
of Coral Gables.
- If you need to be reminded that Miami is part of the South, attend this Saturday's Cattle Show and smell the hay and cowpies.
- Saturday night, get soothed by Mexican guitar duo Rodrigo y Gabriela at the Fillmore Miami Beach.
- Metal is alive and well in South Florida. Churchill's More Metal!!! show will include L.A.'s Witchaven, the Panix, Music Hates You, and others. When you're done worshiping Satan, stop on by.
Get the Weekly Newsletter
Our weekly feature stories, movie reviews, calendar picks and more - minus the newsprint and sent directly to your inbox.