Adios Orange Bowl
With the news that the University of Miami is leaving the Orange Bowl, Riptide catalogs the top five moments in Hurricanes history inside the rickety ole’ stadium.
* 58 home game winning streak: From the mid-Eighties to the early-Nineties, no team could beat the Hurricanes on their home turf. During the run, UM was ranked number one 25 times, including national championship victories in the 1987, 1989 and 1991 seasons.
* Wide Right II, 1992: Florida State Seminole kicker Dan Mowrey misses a field goal in waning seconds. Hurricanes win 19-16.
* Wide Right III, 2000: After Hurricanes take a 27-24 lead over the Seminoles late in the fourth quarter, Florida State QB and Heisman Trophy winner Chris Weinke drives his team into field goal range. But kicker Matt Munyon pulls a Mowrey and the football sails wide right a third time in the storied rivalry.
NPC Southern States Bikini, Figure, Men's Physique
TicketsFri., Jul. 7, 6:00pm
NPC Southern States Bodybuilding Championships vs. NPC Southern States Fitness & Figure Championships
TicketsSat., Jul. 8, 6:00pm
Florida Launch vs. Chesapeake Bayhawks
TicketsSat., Jul. 15, 7:00pm
Florida Launch vs. Charlotte Hounds
TicketsSat., Jul. 22, 7:00pm
* Wide Left I, 2002: With less than five minutes left, down 28-27 to the Hurricanes, Seminole kicker Xavier Beitia has a chance to win the game with a last second field goal. He kicks the football … it sails, sails, sails … wide left.
* 1984 Orange Bowl: Hurricanes hold on to a 31-30 victory late in the fourth quarter against the top-ranked Nebraska Cornhuskers. The University of Miami wins the first of five national titles. -- Francisco Alvarado
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Miami, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.