15-Year-Old Boy Killed in Go-Cart Accident
In today's roundup of all the horrible things that happened over the weekend: A teenage boy is killed while riding a go-cart on the street, an 18-year-old's body is dumped on the side of a road in Hialeah, a new law bans adults from playgrounds, and five people are injured in boating accidents.
Fifteen-year-old Tavaris Payne was killed in a bizzare go-cart accident last night near NW Seventh Avenue and 80th Street. Payne, without his parents' permission, was driving a friend's go-cart through the streets when he lost control and hit a Penske moving truck. The collision instantly killed him.
"It's my baby -- I be looking for him to come in the house. Like always when I look, he be coming, but now he won't be coming. Yeah, I just gotta stay strong," his mother, Dashon Boykins Payne, told CBS4.
"He was just driving a go-cart. It was going too fast, and he lost control and he went under the truck," Payne's best friend, Edrick Moore, says. "I tried to wake him back up." [CBS4]
- An 18-year-old man in Hialeah was shot after getting into an argument with someone while driving in a white SUV. Afterward, his body was dumped on the street and the SUV sped away. [Herald]
- A transit bus in Miami Gardens caught fire, but no one was injured. [WSVN]
- Five people were injured in two separate boating accidents this weekend: one caused by a collision and another by a wave. [CBS4]
- A new law in Miami Beach bans adults from playgrounds if they are not with a child. [CBS4]
- An ex-Miami-Dade cop on trial for killing a K9 has been found not guilty by a jury. [CBS4]
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Miami, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.