15-Year-Old Boy Killed in Go-Cart Accident
In today's roundup of all the horrible things that happened over the weekend: A teenage boy is killed while riding a go-cart on the street, an 18-year-old's body is dumped on the side of a road in Hialeah, a new law bans adults from playgrounds, and five people are injured in boating accidents.
Fifteen-year-old Tavaris Payne was killed in a bizzare go-cart accident last night near NW Seventh Avenue and 80th Street. Payne, without his parents' permission, was driving a friend's go-cart through the streets when he lost control and hit a Penske moving truck. The collision instantly killed him.
"It's my baby -- I be looking for him to come in the house. Like always when I look, he be coming, but now he won't be coming. Yeah, I just gotta stay strong," his mother, Dashon Boykins Payne, told CBS4.
"He was just driving a go-cart. It was going too fast, and he lost control and he went under the truck," Payne's best friend, Edrick Moore, says. "I tried to wake him back up." [CBS4]
- An 18-year-old man in Hialeah was shot after getting into an argument with someone while driving in a white SUV. Afterward, his body was dumped on the street and the SUV sped away. [Herald]
- A transit bus in Miami Gardens caught fire, but no one was injured. [WSVN]
- Five people were injured in two separate boating accidents this weekend: one caused by a collision and another by a wave. [CBS4]
- A new law in Miami Beach bans adults from playgrounds if they are not with a child. [CBS4]
- An ex-Miami-Dade cop on trial for killing a K9 has been found not guilty by a jury. [CBS4]
Get the Weekly Newsletter
Our weekly feature stories, movie reviews, calendar picks and more - minus the newsprint and sent directly to your inbox.
- Poll: Floridians Chill With Gay Marriage, Almost Ready for Medical Marijuana
- Miami-Dade Gained 21,000 New Residents Last Year, but Broward and Palm Beach Are...
- Artist Posts Flyers Around Wynwood For "Lost Art," but Gallery Says He's Full Of It
- Miami Skyline Featured on Jacksonville Jaguars' Draft Hat