Susan Boyle's Depeche Mode Cover and Five Other Artists Who Ruined Perfectly Good Songs
England's favorite frumpy, never-been-kissed, feel-good-story of 2009 has a new album, Someone to Watch Over Me, dropping November 1. And it's generating mad buzz with the 55-to-70-year-old demographic.
Susan Boyle's new record will feature a sweet blend of slow jams ranging from Joni Mitchell's "Both Sides Now" to Depeche Mode's "Enjoy the Silence," which you can listen to at Rolling Stone.
Honestly, it's not all that bad. Especially when you compare to these five dreadful covers.
5. Miley Cyrus's "Smells Like Teen Spirit"
Miley was negative one when Kurt, Dave, and Krist released the single for "Smells Like Teen Spirit." Sure it's cute that she credits them as a major influence in their career, but for fuck's sake, don't butcher a generation's most influential anthem.
4. Britney Spears's "You Oughta Know"
We don't really know what Britney Spears sounds like given the fact she lip-syncs everything. But she outghta know that covering the greatest revenge song of all time would end up on at least one list of covers that should've never happened.
3. William Shatner's "Iron Man"
Captain Kirk needs to cut the absurdist, spoken-word rock album shtick. It's crystal clear now that we're simply pointing and laughing at that old man who used to host Rescue 911.
2. Hillary Duff's "My Generation"
What a sad state of affairs for Hillary Duff's actual generation. They'll forever associate a rock and roll classic with a Tiger Beat cover girl. We're fucked, America.
1. Paris Hilton's "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy"
We did think Paris was sexy, but it was that first time we watcher her in that sex tape, One Night in Paris, well before she butchered a Rod Stewart classic.
Get the Music Newsletter
Keep your thumb on the local music scene with music features, additional online music listings and show picks. We'll also send special ticket offers and music promotions available only to our Music Newsletter subscribers.
More MUSIC News
- Arcade Fire’s Win Butler, AKA DJ Windows 98, Coming to Bardot Miami
- Miami Beach’s Centennial Concert: Gloria Estefan, Celeb Cameos, and Conga Lines
- Rat Bastard on the Evolution of Noise: “We Are Always Trying to Come Up with Something...
- Telekinetic Walrus Talks The Spaceship With the Heavy Bass Bump