Mondays, The District
The Brass King is virtually synonymous with the Miami soul scene. Best known as the resident DJ at the Funk Jazz Lounge, Bekay has defected to Mello Mondays, the hot new spoken-word event at The District. He has also been spreading his collection of exclusive tracks, rare cuts, and R&B and hip-hop grooves via his own mixtapes, particularly the recent R&Bekay's Soul Selection Vol. 3. His sets celebrate life; as he likes to put it, Every day above ground is a good day.
1. Sweetback, Jesus Girl (Epic)
2. Lina, Come To Mama (Hidden Beach)
3. Jill Scott, Can't Explain (Hidden Beach)
4. Big Brooklyn Red on anything
5. De La Soul, Church (Sanctuary)
6. Mos Def, Life is Real (Geffen)
7. Courtney Pine, Don't Explain (Verve)
8. The Square Egg featuring Big Brooklyn Red, U R The Truth (Parrislee Music)
9. Hassanah, The After Life (Mellow Tone Recordings)
10.Jazz Hole, Put A Groove On (Atlantic)
Get the Music Newsletter
Keep your thumb on the local music scene each week with music news, trends, artist interviews and concert listings. We'll also send you special ticket offers and music deals.