Mondays, The District
The Brass King is virtually synonymous with the Miami soul scene. Best known as the resident DJ at the Funk Jazz Lounge, Bekay has defected to Mello Mondays, the hot new spoken-word event at The District. He has also been spreading his collection of exclusive tracks, rare cuts, and R&B and hip-hop grooves via his own mixtapes, particularly the recent R&Bekay's Soul Selection Vol. 3. His sets celebrate life; as he likes to put it, Every day above ground is a good day.
1. Sweetback, Jesus Girl (Epic)
2. Lina, Come To Mama (Hidden Beach)
3. Jill Scott, Can't Explain (Hidden Beach)
4. Big Brooklyn Red on anything
5. De La Soul, Church (Sanctuary)
6. Mos Def, Life is Real (Geffen)
7. Courtney Pine, Don't Explain (Verve)
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
8. The Square Egg featuring Big Brooklyn Red, U R The Truth (Parrislee Music)
9. Hassanah, The After Life (Mellow Tone Recordings)
10.Jazz Hole, Put A Groove On (Atlantic)