Remember those strange techno-ambient sounds on the Wachowski brothers' Matrix prequel, The Animatrix? They belong to Satoshi Tomiie, one of Japan's most successful DJs.
Tomiie should be a familiar name to anyone with the slightest interest in house music, for he's marking almost two decades in the biz, after honing his skills as a producer in the late Eighties. His big break came when he met Chicago house pioneer Frankie Knuckles, with whom he created the 1990 club hit "Tears."
Ever since then, Tomiie has remained an in-demand DJ and producer, lending his remixing skills to works by superstars such as David Bowie and U2 (Tomiie crafted the famed remix of the group's 1997 single "Discotheque").
Satoshi Tomiie performs Wednesday, March 26, at the SAW/Stssy party at Shine at the Shelborne Hotel, 1801 Collins Ave, Miami Beach. Others on the bill include Hctor Romero, Audiofly, Diesel (X-press 2), and Spencer Parker. Doors open at 10 p.m., and tickets cost $20 in advance. Those 21 and older are welcome with ID. Call 305-341-1455, or visit www.shinesouthbeach.com.
In 2000, Tomiie released a progressive house album, Full Lick, scoring the club hit "Up in Flames." Now, with fellow Def Mix Records labelmate Héctor Romero, Tomiie has founded SAW Recordings, an independent outfit focused on pushing house forward. Not one to look to the past, Tomiie should deliver a set at the SAW/Stüssy party that will showcase the latest in the genre.
1. Chaim, "Moon (Original Mix)" (Bpitch Control)
2. Bushwacka!, "Back on Top" (Olmeto Records)
3. HOSH, "Steppenwolf (Sydenhams Blacktro Dub Remix)" (Diynamic)
4. Anthony Middleton, "Underneath the Sky" (SAW)
5. Elmar Schubert, "Breaking Curfew (Sasse Remix)" (Fantasize)
6. D'Julz, "Just So U Know (2000 and One Remix)" (Ovum)
7. Tigerskin, "a2. Rust" (Mood Music)
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
8. Andre Lodemann, "Wanna Feel Master" (Simple)
9. Silicone Soul, "The Pact (Bassline)" (Soma)
10. Break 3000, "A-break3000 (Bleedlikeme Master)" (Dirt Crew)