Music scholar Daniel Fuller wrote that Orlando-based DJ/producer Q-Burns Abstract Message (Michael Donaldson) blurs the line between "eclectic experimenter and populist ass-shaker." That couldn't be a more perfect way to describe his fun and flirtatious style behind the decks. His label, Eighth Dimension, has been a welcome respite from big, evil dance music conglomerates for veteran producers such as Pimp Daddy Nash, BMF, and Hawke (Gavin Hardkiss). Now in its 15th year, the company might be the greatest testament to Q-Burns's ability to remain relevant in a fickle marketplace that quickly tosses out trendiness.
Even when he's being far-out, so to speak, Q-Burns's work still compels us to follow him to those new and strange places. And even in the abstract, he communicates loud and clear.
1. Sleazy McQueen, "Trains over Broadway (Pezzner Remix)"
Q-Burns Abstract Message
Q-Burns Abstract Message: Thursday, March 26, at the Big Trouble in Little SoBe party at the Electric Pickle, 2826 N. Miami Ave., Miami. Doors open at 8 p.m. Tickets cost $10. Ages 21+ with ID. Call 305-722-1858.
2. Nick Chacona and Anthony Mansfield, "The Heat"
3. Beef Wellington, "Magnetic (James Curd remix)"
4. Atnarko, "Deep (Jay West Remix)"
5. Audio Totem Pole, "Touchtones (Brett Johnson Remix)"
6. Ilija Rudman, "Two Faced Love"
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
7. CGT and Feline 9, "Cosmic Overload (Q-Burns Abstract Message Remix)"
8. Asad Rizvi, "Is That My Wig?"
9. Deep Touched, "Your Hands"
10. Youssou N'Dour, "Wake Up (Gavin Hardkiss Remix)"