This DJ from New York has the talent to venture from rap to rock to house to electro to whatever without losing the audience or sounding strained. He was formerly an editor at knowledgeable and adventurous music mag Fader, where he was known as Nick Barat. Now he — along with Kanye West's DJ, A-Trak — is helping to nurture the careers of artists such as Kid Sister, Cool Kids, Kavinsky, and Kid Cudi as cofounder of Fool's Gold Records.
He's also a remixer and masher-upper with a keen ear for pairing distinctly different works or sonic ideas (the Smiths with Ying Yang Twins, Héctor El Bambino with Jay-Z). He does officially commissioned work, including his recent reconstruction of the goth-tinged Dandi Wind for the Sacrificial remix album. But sometimes he just corrects crap that annoys him, such as his house rework of Flo Rida's "Low," the incessantly played hip-pop hit that was desperately in need of a tuneup. Watch him fix beats on a dance floor near you.
Nick Catchdubs performs Thursday, March 27, at the Wish You Were Here Greetings from Miami! party at Suite and Snatch, 1439 Washington Ave, Miami Beach. Others on the bill include A-Trak, Klever, Blu Jemz, and Treasure Fingers. Doors open at 10 p.m., and tickets cost $20. Those 21 and older are welcome with ID. Call 305-604-3644, or visit www.suiteloungemiami.com and www.snatchmiami.com. He then performs at the Fool's Gold showcase Friday, March 28, at White Room, 1306 N Miami Ave, Miami. Others on the bill include A-Trak, Sinden, and LA Riots. Doors open at 10 p.m., and tickets cost $20. Those 21 and older are welcome with ID. Call 305-995-5050, or visit www.foolsgoldrecs.com.
1. Kid Cudi, "Day N Nite (Crookers Remix)" (Fool's Gold)
2. N*E*R*D, "Everyone Nose" (Star Trak)
3. Count and Sinden, "Beeper (Nick Catchdubs Party Edit)" (white label)
4. Treasure Fingers, "Cross the Dancefloor" (Fool's Gold)
5. Surkin, "White Knight 2" (Institubes)
6. Björk, "Innocence (Sinden Remix)" (One Little Indian)
7. Buy Now, "Body Crash" (La Mode)
8. Snoop Dogg, "Sensual Seduction (Wideboys Bassline Mix)" (Geffen)
9. Wiley, "Wearing My Rolex" (Eskibeat)
10. E-40, "Turf Drop" (Sick Wid It/BME)
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Miami, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.