This DJ from New York has the talent to venture from rap to rock to house to electro to whatever without losing the audience or sounding strained. He was formerly an editor at knowledgeable and adventurous music mag Fader, where he was known as Nick Barat. Now he — along with Kanye West's DJ, A-Trak — is helping to nurture the careers of artists such as Kid Sister, Cool Kids, Kavinsky, and Kid Cudi as cofounder of Fool's Gold Records.
He's also a remixer and masher-upper with a keen ear for pairing distinctly different works or sonic ideas (the Smiths with Ying Yang Twins, Héctor El Bambino with Jay-Z). He does officially commissioned work, including his recent reconstruction of the goth-tinged Dandi Wind for the Sacrificial remix album. But sometimes he just corrects crap that annoys him, such as his house rework of Flo Rida's "Low," the incessantly played hip-pop hit that was desperately in need of a tuneup. Watch him fix beats on a dance floor near you.
1. Kid Cudi, "Day N Nite (Crookers Remix)" (Fool's Gold)
2. N*E*R*D, "Everyone Nose" (Star Trak)
3. Count and Sinden, "Beeper (Nick Catchdubs Party Edit)" (white label)
4. Treasure Fingers, "Cross the Dancefloor" (Fool's Gold)
5. Surkin, "White Knight 2" (Institubes)
6. Björk, "Innocence (Sinden Remix)" (One Little Indian)
7. Buy Now, "Body Crash" (La Mode)
8. Snoop Dogg, "Sensual Seduction (Wideboys Bassline Mix)" (Geffen)
9. Wiley, "Wearing My Rolex" (Eskibeat)
10. E-40, "Turf Drop" (Sick Wid It/BME)
Get the Music Newsletter
Keep your thumb on the local music scene with music features, additional online music listings and show picks. We'll also send special ticket offers and music promotions available only to our Music Newsletter subscribers.