Miami's Ten Can't-Miss Concerts of the Week
10. Electric Piquete. Performing live on the Pineapple Stage with DJ Kenyi Succar. Hosted by Joe Cardona. Presented by Miami Boheme. Friday, January 8, 9:30 p.m. Ball & Chain, 1513 SW 8th St., Miami; 305-643-7820; ballandchainmiami.com. Admission is free. Ages 21 and up.
If you haven't experienced Little Havana nightlife yet, shame on you. But, luckily it's the start of a new year, and you can kick off 2016 with salsita from Miami's favorite Latin band, Electric Piquete. Going down at Ball & Chain, you'll be in for a night of nonstop rumba. ¡Pa'rriba!
9. The Appleseed Collective. Wednesday, January 6, 9 p.m. Lagniappe House, 3425 NE 2nd Ave., Miami; 305-576-01085; lagniappehouse.com. Admission is free.
Get a taste of the Appleseed Collective's "mix of old-time fiddle music, sprightly jazz, gypsy tunes, ragtime, funk, country, and plain old rock ’n’ roll" this week at Lagniappe. "With a strong basis in pre-World War II Americana music, we have been taking that aesthetic and applying it to more modern examples of songwriting," guitarist Andrew Brown recently told New Times about the band's sound. "By infusing tinges of those varied styles into the foundation, the new songs feature a lot more vocal harmony and more progressive arrangements."
8. Silversun Pickups with Sweet Bronco. Friday, January 8, 7:30 p.m. Culture Room, 3045 N. Federal Hwy., Fort Lauderdale; 954-564-1074; cultureroom.net. Tickets cost $28 plus fees via ticketmaster.com.
"When we were starting out, we were too shy to turn up the volume," Brian Aubert of Silversun Pickups writes on the band's Facebook bio. "Now we’re not afraid to get loud. I used to be nervous to go to the mic, now I swallow it." Joined by South Florida's Sweet Bronco, this show will be a night of pure indie rock at Culture Room.
7. John Digweed with Santiago Caballero. Presented by Vagabonds-At-Large and Humans Alike. Friday, January 8, 11 p.m. Heart Nightclub, 50 NE 11th St., Miami; 305-912-3099; heartnightclub.com. Tickets cost $20 to $40 plus fees via wantickets.com. Ages 21 and up.
Party with John Digweed as the "UK's electronic dance music titan" and Bedrock label boss shows Miami a little Heart this week. It's a brand new year. Start making good music your 2016 resolution.
6. Jump Smokers with Johnny Cash. Presented by SKAM Fridays. Friday, January 8, 11:30 p.m. Wall Lounge, 2201 Collins Ave., Miami Beach; 305-938-3131; wallmiami.com. Tickets cost $40 plus fees via wantickets.com. Ages 21 and up.
No other DJ act can turn pop hits — even a mashup of Mariah Carey's "Oh, Santa!" and "All I Want for Christmas" holiday classics — into club bangers like Jump Smokers. So turn up with Roman, Flipside, and Johnny Digital as the Chi-Town DJs take over Wall Lounge.
5. Floor with AC Cobra, House of Lightning, Wrong, and Mere Quantum Noise. Thursday, January 7, 9 p.m. Churchill's Pub, 5501 NE 2nd Ave., Miami; 305-757-1807; churchillspub.com.
Formed in 1992, broken up by '96, back together in '97, near dormant till 2001, and then broken up again by 2003, Miami sledge legends Floor reunited in 2014, complete with a brand new album, Oblation, and accompanying tour. This week, the 305 rock junkies will be back at it again at Churchill's, joined by AC Cobra — who will also be celebrating their reunion.
4. France Camp with Plastic Pinks, Veiny Hands, Fat Sun, and others. Presented by Cheap Miami Records and Ghost Drag. Friday, January 8, 6 to 11 p.m. Gramps, 176 NW 24th St., Miami; 305-699-2669; gramps.com. Tickets cost $5. Ages 21 and up.
Do the "Baby Rock and Roll" with France Camp as the Minneapolis rockers bring their "casual punk" to Gramps. Sure to "melt your face and make you sweat," the night will "wreck you in the best of ways."
3. 1349 with Tombs, Full of Hell, Maruta, and Implosive Disgorgence. Presented by Endoxa Booking and Breakeven Booking. Saturday, January 9, 9 p.m. Churchill's Pub, 5501 NE 2nd Ave., Miami; 305-757-1807; churchillspub.com. Tickets cost $16 via bigcartel.com, or $18 at the door.
Dive into 1349's Massive Cauldron of Chaos as the Norwegian death metal worshippers burn a hole through the ground at Churchill's. Faces painted to resemble corpses, these black metal legends will bring a dose of tears and death to the Sunshine State.
TicketsFri., Jan. 20, 7:00pm
Side by Side: A Steve Lawrence & Eydie Gorme Tribute
TicketsFri., Jan. 20, 8:00pm
TicketsSat., Jan. 21, 7:00pm
The Last Waltz 40 Tour: The 40th Anniversary of The Last Waltz
TicketsSat., Jan. 21, 7:30pm
TicketsSat., Jan. 21, 8:00pm
2. Danny Krivit. Presented by the Electric Pickle and Vagabonds-At-Large. Saturday, January 9, 10 p.m. Electric Pickle, 2826 N. Miami Ave., Miami; 305-456-5613; electricpicklemiami.com. Tickets cost $10 to $15 plus fees via residentadvisor.net.
Urban legend has it that the way you spend the first few Saturday nights of the new year will set precedence for the next 12 months. So if you find yourself partying with Danny Krivit at the Pickle this week, brace yourself for a pretty funkadelic 2016.
1. Wooden Wisdom: Elijah Wood and Zach Cowie DJ set. Thursday, January 7, 10 p.m. Bardot, 3456 N. Miami Ave., Miami; 305-576-7750; bardotmiami.com. Tickets cost $22 plus fees via showclix.com. Ages 21 and up.
From The Lord of the Rings to a club near you, Elijah Wood is now
DJ Frodo Wooden Wisdom. Making his sophomore return to Bardot as a disc jockey, the former hobbit — who will be joined by his DJ partner, Zach Cowie — will transform into a party animal for the night. Just don't forget to dress like Gandalf for old times' sake.
Get the Music Newsletter
Keep your thumb on the local music scene each week with music news, trends, artist interviews and concert listings. We'll also send you special ticket offers and music deals.