Jowell y Randy Get Weird With Dem Bow at La Covacha July 22
After awhile, reggaeton groups can start to seem the like the same old thang.
But whether it's because they're clever or just lucky, Jowell y Randy have got some weird shit going on that grabs our attention.
Here are three things about J&R that really make us cock our heads.
1. Call us old fashioned. We like our Latin music straight up. Synthesizers work for J&R, but it's a little bit of WTF?
2. You'd imagine that guys who hype themselves as Puerto Rican would be straight from, well, Puerto Rico, right? But apparently, Jowell (whose real name is Joel) was born in the very Hispanic town of Springfield, Massachusetts.
3. The official Jowell y Randy website is a rotating 360-degree view of the guys in a toy store, playing with toys and dressed up as guards. Yeah, we don't get it either.
But don't think we're ragging on them. We dig their electronic tendencies, New England roots, and childish ways. So come catch Jowell y Randy at La Covacha. Because of course, where else are we gonna get our Latin music fix?
Get the Music Newsletter
Keep your thumb on the local music scene with music features, additional online music listings and show picks. We'll also send special ticket offers and music promotions available only to our Music Newsletter subscribers.
More MUSIC News
- Arcade Fire’s Win Butler, AKA DJ Windows 98, Coming to Bardot Miami
- Miami Beach’s Centennial Concert: Gloria Estefan, Celeb Cameos, and Conga Lines
- Rat Bastard on the Evolution of Noise: “We Are Always Trying to Come Up with Something...
- Telekinetic Walrus Talks The Spaceship With the Heavy Bass Bump