Jahfe for the People: Words of Wisdom From Sasha Sanon
Jahfe is the greatest reggae band in South Florida.
When the group's in show mode, it gigs about 17 nights a month at venues throughout the tri-county area. The crew also tours internationally, playing some of the biggest festivals around the world. And Jahfe takes the sound of Miami everywhere it goes.
Band leader Sasha Sanon started the band ten years ago, and Jahfe has been playing in its current incarnation for the past five years. The crew's currently mixing its third album, 3rd Eye, due out in March. So we caught up with Sanon for some reggae words of wisdom about life, death, and the feeling of the music.
25. "The business is the music, but we use the music to convey the message to the people."
TicketsFri., Jan. 20, 7:00pm
Side by Side: A Steve Lawrence & Eydie Gorme Tribute
TicketsFri., Jan. 20, 8:00pm
TicketsSat., Jan. 21, 7:00pm
The Last Waltz 40 Tour: The 40th Anniversary of The Last Waltz
TicketsSat., Jan. 21, 7:30pm
TicketsSat., Jan. 21, 8:00pm
24. "Life: It's intense."
23. "There is always an eye watching you. Whenever you do anything you create karma."
22. "You can live in the ghetto but you don't have to live a gangster life."
21. " I am from a third world country and I know about poverty. One thing that I understand, poverty is not knowing God, because a man shouldn't live off bread only."
20. "It's good to be humble and not to get caught up in material things. Always live in the 'now-ism', not in past not the future. Nothing is guaranteed."
19. " I believe in the gospel of simplicity and love."
18. "Color is not an issue in this world. To reach the kingdom of God you have to be reborn as a child. For example; if you take a white, black, or Asian toddler they will share toys with no regards to color. But once they go to school to they start to categorize and divide."
17. "The blind man never cares about the color of his walking stick nor the color of his dog."
16. "When you die, you dead."
15. "I don't believe in killing in the name of religion. God is love."
14. "Once you feel the music, no one can take it away from you. People come and go, but the message will never die."
13. "I enjoy each show, every single one has a different moment I appreciate."
12. "What is isn't, what isn't is. Overall, everything is beautiful."
11. "There is pressure in the system. Hold on to your faith and God will pave the way."
10. "To find yourself you must first lose yourself."
9. "Stop being negative, there are 24 hours in the day. If you spend 12 thinking of what you could have done, then you're not living."
8. "Experience teaches wisdom."
7. " Recession: Why hold on to things that you can't afford? When you find yourself, the more you think you need is the less you need. All you need is God."
6. "Woman is the mother of creation. Every man comes from a woman and every woman comes from a woman. But who impregnated the first woman?"
5. "The music: You need to have a beautiful melody to put all the lyrics to. It's not just the message, it's how you present the message."
4. "I'm not a teacher. I am a student of life who wants to learn the facts of life."
3. "I choose to be balanced over fame. Fame is life. I'm not trying to be that's just who I am. For instance; do you have change for a penny?"
2. "You might have the knowledge to know how to drive the car, but you need the wisdom to stop at the red. 'Cause if you don't, something may happen to you."
1. "Nobody put a gun to my head to tell me what to talk about. I was sent to glorify. No money can change that."
Get the Music Newsletter
Keep your thumb on the local music scene each week with music news, trends, artist interviews and concert listings. We'll also send you special ticket offers and music deals.