Tuesday, July 20, 2010 at 1:25 p.m.
This past June, Miami New Times awarded John "Somejerk" Gregory our nod for Best New Electronica Artist. That was, perhaps, something of a misnomer -- Somejerk's been doing his thing on the scene for a minute, but the past year or so is when he's finally gotten enough deserved credit.
While Somejerk's mainly known for his heavy-hitting dubstep sets, the track-devouring spinner has consistently put out mixes that explore the genre's fringes and overlaps with other styles. His latest offering, his Summer 2010 Mix, features his personal selections for summer jams, and it's appropriately sunny-sounding.
There's something here from nearly every microgenre featuring the oh-so-addictive reverse-warp basslines. While the selection eventually slows down into grinding, proper dubstep, there's a long trip through stuttering two-step and even a couple relatively high-BPM, female-vocal-laced tracks that flirt with bassline. Plenty of Caribbean percussion and ragga flavor throughout makes this an essential soundtrack for frying in the near-equatorial sun. Check the track list, and stream and download the mix, after the jump.
Random detail, but one of our favorite moments comes around 15:00, when the DJ slips in a rised-out, pulsing Boogaloo Crew remix of Stevie Nicks' "Edge of Seventeen."
1. Borgore - Summertime
2. Marcus Visionary - London
3. Jakes - Time Ends
4. Satori, Marcus Visionary - In the VIP
5. 12th Planet & Juakali - Reasons
6. Marcus Visionary - Surinam
7. Boogaloo Crew - Days Go By
8. Darquan - JahWan
9 . Gemmy - Last 3 Digits
10. Silkie, Mizz Beats - Purple Love
11. Sepalcure - Love Pressure
12. Blawan - Iddy
13. Silkie - Cats Eyes
14. Gemmy - Maroon Chant
15. Magnetic Man - MAD
16. George Lenton - Price
17. Piper Davis - The World (Mark Instinct remix)
18. Gramaphonedzie - Why Dont You (High Rankin & Evolve or Die Remix)
19. Brad Sucks - Thanks For The Add (Sine Here Remix)
20. M.I.A. - Born Free (12th Planet remix)
21. Untold - Stop What Your Doing (James Blake remix)
22. [Obama outro]