Part of the appeal of producing music with machines and expensive toys is that instruments and complex beats can be synthesized with the turn of a knob. Yet when a DJ's live set is more akin to checking e-mail than performing, technology can be a drawback. D:Fuse is bringing the live element back to his music with the DJs Are Alive project. The Scumfrog, DJ Skribble, Kristine W, and Static Revenger make up the DJ/band hybrid, where all members alternate spinning and playing instruments throughout the performance. D:Fuse's most recent release, People_3 (Moist Music), is a lofty attempt to capture the energy of real instruments by melding a live band with progressive and chill house tracks.
1. DJs Are Alive, "Gimme Some Love (Vocal Mix)" (Effin)
2. Jaytech, "Genesis" (Rapid Response)
3. D:Fuse and Hiratzka feat. MC Flint, "What's It Gonna Be" (CDR)
4. Matt Darey vs. Tall Pall feat. Alabama 3, "No Submission" (Darey Products)
5. D:Fuse and Hiratzka, "In Suspense" (CDR)
6. Benz and MD, "Open Bar" (Aurium)
7. Sharon Phillips, "Want 2/Need 2 (Trente Moller Remix)" (Brickhouse)
8. Head Honcho, "Medicine (Mike Hiratzka Edit)" (Juke Box in the Sky)
9. Chris Bohn feat. Scott Weiland, "Fame (Back of the Limo Mix)" (Atel)
10. G-Tek, "El Palmar Landscape" (Climax)
Get the Music Newsletter
Keep your thumb on the local music scene with music features, additional online music listings and show picks. We'll also send special ticket offers and music promotions available only to our Music Newsletter subscribers.
More MUSIC News
- Arcade Fire’s Win Butler, AKA DJ Windows 98, Coming to Bardot Miami
- Miami Beach’s Centennial Concert: Gloria Estefan, Celeb Cameos, and Conga Lines
- Rat Bastard on the Evolution of Noise: “We Are Always Trying to Come Up with Something...
- Telekinetic Walrus Talks The Spaceship With the Heavy Bass Bump