Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle (PG-13)
Unable to resist retro-game tech, our bored heroes thunk this new-old Jumanji into a vintage console, select the characters they wish to play and then, ka-blammo, all get sucked into the game itself -- and into the bodies of their in-game avatars. The freshest element here is body-swap comedy, which finds a high school schlemiel (Alex Wolff) inhabiting man-mountain Dwayne Johnson, a selfie-obsessed popular girl (Madison Iseman) mired in the form of Jack Black and a cocksure football king (Ser'Darius Blain) who gets stuck as Kevin Hart. Johnson gets to yammer antsily, which is good for a couple of laughs. Black, pitching his voice high and complaining about being fat and middle-aged, attempts to find the inner-life-of-a-blonde cliche. Expect much spirited talk about penises.
A final teen, a bright but awkward young woman (Morgan Jeanette Turner), gets embodied by Karen Gillan, whose short-shorts and midriff-baring T-shirt are flimsily justified by the filmmakers -- Jake Kasdan and a boatload of credited writers -- as satire. Gillan, after all, is playing a '90s video-game heroine; the funniest scene involves this uncertain kid trying to pilot that body alluringly.
Rather than wild, the jungle here is about team-building and occasional action scenes whose gist you may get from the blur of movement. To describe it for another sentence would be to waste your time and mine.
- Thu. 22
- 19501 Biscayne Blvd., Aventura, FL 33180
- 780 W. 49th St., Hialeah, FL 33012
- 5701 Sunset Dr., South Miami, FL 33143
- 11401 NW 12th St., Miami, FL 33172
- 6711 Main St., Miami Lakes, FL 33014
- 2250 NE 8th St., Homestead, FL 33033
- (1:10 pm)
- (4:10 pm)
- 7:35 pm
- 10:15 pm
- 8595 SW 124 Ave., Miami, FL 33183
- 2800 Oakwood Blvd., Hollywood, FL 33020
- 2600 NW 136th Ave., Plantation, FL 33323
- 20505 S Dixie Highway, Cutler Bay, FL 33189
- 9000 SW 136th St., Palmetto Bay, FL 33176