Best Restaurant to Take Out-of-Towners (2009)
Ten reasons you should take out-of-towners to DiLido Beach for lunch:
1. It's less expensive than taking them to dinner at the Ritz.
2. Tourists are easily impressed by stars, so you can mention that chef Jeff McInnis is the good-looking guy who got eliminated from TV's Top Chef before the sangria sorbet in his ceviche even melted.
3. You can have the smug satisfaction of sitting on the veranda, mojito in hand, staring complacently at the cerulean Atlantic stretched before you and nonchalantly saying, "I take it you don't get to lunch like this much in Buffalo."
4. There's a fried green tomato "club sandwich" with eggplant, feta mousse, arugula, mayo, French fries, and harissa ketchup ($12/$21).
5. And there's cumin-and-za'atar-crusted tuna with lemon emulsion, grapefruit compote, and asparagus salad ($15/$28).
6. McInnis is a much better chef than #2 implies.
7. Did we mention hookah smoking Thursday through Saturday, after 5 p.m., in one of six cabanas facing the ocean?
8. How about watermelon-and-peach sangria — without gazpacho?
9. You'll get to say things like "yuzu-drenched scallop ceviche with shaved artichokes and a scoop of melon ice [$11] is to Miami what spicy chicken wings are to your hometown."
10. And last: the priceless memories of a leisurely lunch with loved ones.
More Awards from This Winner
More Food & Drink Awards
Best Hamburger8 oz. Burger Bar
Best BagelsBagels and Co.
Best Restaurants sans CategoryMichy's and OLA
Best CroquetasLa Palma Restaurant