Win Tickets to Fela!, the Story of Afrobeat Musician Fela Kuti Starring Michelle Williams
When Destiny's Child reunited during the Super Bowl, the resulting snark almost preempted the performance itself. Jokes about Beyoncé's diva swagger and dismissive treatment of the other two members of the group flooded the Internet.
Perhaps nobody felt the sting more than Michelle Williams. No, not the Dawson's Creek and My Week With Marilyn actress whose face pops up when you Google that name; the other Williams, the performer who's widely regarded as the underachiever of the girl group that launched Queen Bey to stardom.
But Williams isn't flipping burgers at some rural fast-food joint, as plenty of Twitter users cruelly imagined. She's still performing and will appear at the Adrienne Arsht Center (1300 Biscayne Blvd., Miami) as part of the Broadway musical Fela!, opening this Tuesday.
Fela! uses Afrobeat musician Fela Kuti's infectious songs to tell the tale of his development as an artist and a political activist. And we're giving away a pair of tickets to opening night at the Arsht Center this Tuesday to one lucky Cultist reader.
Will it be as disturbingly extravagant as the Mrs. Carter Show World Tour? Probably not. But Fela! does honor a man who fought back against Africa's oppressive dictatorships -- at least as important as honoring a woman who inspired a generation of ladies to demand that you "put a ring on it."
Here's how to win:
Official Fela! Ticket Giveaway Instructions
1. Sign into your Voice Nation account using the buttons at the top right corner of this page. (If you don't already have an account, you can easily create one by clicking "Join" or using Facebook Connect.)
2. Leave a comment on this blog post.
3. Make sure the email associated with your Voice Nation account is active, and don't forget to check it.
4. From the pool of commenters, we'll randomly select one lucky winner and send them an email explaining how to claim their prize -- two tickets to Fela! on Tuesday, March 19, at 8 p.m.
5. Winners must pick up their passes at the New Times office by 3 p.m. on Tuesday, March. 19.
6. Last thing ... You only have until 10 a.m. on Monday, March 18, to enter.
Get the Arts Newsletter
Weekly information on all the on goings in the art and event world. Find out what the hot trends are and what's happening this week in our Arts newsletter. Coming Soon.