What to Do When It's Freaking Cold Outside
Flickr CC Kendra Infinity
Miami in the 30s?? Huh? Maybe at the Historical Museum on Flagler, but please not in our mercury sticks. Here's a few suggestions on how to handle the elements.
1. Cuddle. Do you really have to go outside? Cuddle with a friend, a loved one, or a pet. Just one thing: Make sure whoever you cuddle with is Okay with it. You don't want to just grab someone. That's actually against the rules, and it's not really worth complicating your life. If you can't find a partner, keep it simple and cuddle with yourself. Watch a movie (but not The Ice Storm). Catch up on a season of something (stay away from Northern Exposure). Don't watch a lot of television? Good for you. Read a book. Crank up your Kindle and feed your mind. Just think warm thoughts.
2. Dress Properly. This might seem like a no-brainer, but sometimes
Miamians don't have any brains. We're sort of sun-drenched. Dressing
Arts Ballet Theatre: The Nutcracker
TicketsThu., Dec. 15, 10:30am
MGA -Mater Grove Academy Presents: Celebrate the Magic of the Holidays
TicketsFri., Dec. 16, 6:00pm
JTF's Friday Night Live
TicketsFri., Dec. 16, 9:00pm
TicketsFri., Dec. 16, 9:00pm
TicketsFri., Dec. 16, 10:00pm
properly might mean denim on denim for some; but that's not really
proper, even if you live in Hialeah. How about a winter coat or blazer?
And don't forget accessories, like a scarf. Maybe an ascot if you're a
student at the U. And how about some gloves or a scully? Now's the time
to rock 'em if you got 'em. Also, be a good friend and text that boy or girl who's a
little clueless and remind them to do the same.
3. Turn on the Heater. The heater is easy to activate. It is attached to
the air conditioner unit. Some of you may just have to turn a knob on a
wall unit to the section that says heat; it's even colored in red. A
nice 79 degrees sounds kosher. If you don't have a central heat unit, that's a
shame. Maybe you have a cool fireplace?? Just make sure the chute is
clean, and try not to burn down your apartment or house. If you don't
have a fireplace, you can also use a hot plate, but, just so you know,
that's some ghetto ass shit.
4. Bring the Plants inside. This is the easiest thing to forget. Turns
out plants, like humans, don't like it when it gets very cold. So, if
you have a favorite plant, a Gazania, or a Periwinkle, do yourself a
favor and bring it inside. This same strategy should also apply to pets
and grandparents. Don't leave them outside, either. You're so good. Way
5. Give Thanks You're Not a Bird. Those poor birds. You ever see them
struggling their little bird asses off in the winds? They don't know
which way to go. The harsh winds pushing them to and fro. It's just not
their day. This weather is for penguins, not pelicans.
6. Fill The Flask. If you must venture out, a little nip can keep you warm.
Get the Arts & Culture Newsletter
Find out about arts and culture events in Miami and offers you won't hear about anywhere else.